Sunday, March 2, 2008

Unschooling

Unschooling is the method of homeschooling that I plan to use with our kids...well...really it is what we use right now. Life learning. No curricula, no workbooks, no tests, etc. And it is also a way of life that we strive to achieve as well.

There is an awesome blog carival going on at An Unschooling Life called Unschooling Voices where different blogs post a question about Unschooling and others answer the question on their blogs and post a link on the host blog. I found this really amazing blog Learning Though Living that really has some amazing posts on it. Needless to say I've subscribed and can't wait to read more. She has a great quote from John Holt that I also wanted to share.

“It is as true now as it was then that no matter what tests show, very little of what is taught in school is learned, very little of what is learned is remembered, and very little of what is remembered is used. The things we learn, remember, and use are the things we seek out or meet in the daily, serious, nonschool parts of our lives.”~John Holt~ How Children Fail

I think if we as parents concern ourselves with living our lives as role models for our children and include them in our activities when they want to be included we would serve them a lot better than by having rules and enforcing with punishments, especially when we are not following the rules ourselves.

Something to think about...

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hello Heather :)

I don't think I know you but you are promoting my blog, wow, thank you so much.
I'm glad that my ramblings can help someone.

I'll add you to my reader so I can check in with you.