Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tackle It Tuesday - Using up all the turkey!

It's been a VERY busy week here. I've got a few other things to share but we will save those for other posts. This week my major tackle was the 26 lb turkey. I mentioned in my Menu Planning Monday post that we cooked one of the last few turkeys that we raised from last year. 26 lbs is a little much for one meal for my little family so I needed to do something with it all. And I also needed to make some stock from the bones. I used the recipe from Nourishing Traditions

Here are the bones and vegi's in the crockpot. I let this cook for about 12 hrs.

And got this!

I then took out the bones and put the vegi's and meat back in and simmered it on the stove for another few hrs to reduce it.
Right now it is sitting the the fridge so that I can pull the fat off the top and then can it.
On top of that I had about 20 lbs of leftover meat. I cubed it all and put it all in quart size canning jars. I now have 8 quarts of turkey meat in the freezer and we've already used it for about 3-4 meals.
I will be glad once the broth is canned & in the freezer and I can put this tackle behind me! And only one more turkey left in the freezer.

Share your tackles 5 Minutes for Mom.


1 comments:

Donielle said...

Do you can it as in 'you can leave it on the shelf unrefidgerated'? If so, I'd love to know how you do it!